Adjusting a Microscope
These instructions describe how to properly focus a binocular microscope.
- Turn on the lamp and adjust its intensity.
- Adjust the interpupilary distance so that the two circles of light merge into one.
- Place a sample on the stage.
- Select the 10X objective and look through the right eyepiece only.
- Use the coarse and fine focus control knobs to adjust the focus of the sample.
- When the sample is clearly visible, use only your left eye. Do NOT adjust the focus knobs. Instead, adjust the diopter on the left eyepiece until the sample comes clearly into view. The image should be clear with both eyes open.
- Choose the desired objective. You may need to adjust the fine focus a little.