Heat Controller/Humidity Monitor
Smart, electrically quiet air heater for live cell imaging & custom incubators
- Precision heat controller for use in live cell imaging and custom incubators
- Control heat and monitor humidity (optional) with a single controller
- Electrically and acoustically quiet
- Quick, precise response to thermal change
- Included: P/N 5489; two connection hoses (4 foot) and four clamps are provided for a single inlet-outlet chamber (for dual inlet-outlet chambers refer to P/N 96824)
|AIRTHERM-SMT-1W||Smart Air-Therm Heater 110 V|
|AIRTHERM-SMT-2W||Smart Air-Therm Heater 230 V|
- PID control algorithms allow for tight control of temperature in the environmental chamber
- System includes hoses and probes so that it is ready to connect with your microscope chamber, incubator or controlled environment
- Live cell imaging systems fitted with full microscope environmental chamber enclosures
- Control environment in custom incubators
The AirTherm™ SMT is a new generation of heat control system from WPI designed to be used in Live Cell Imaging applications with microscopes fitted with a full microscope environmental chamber enclosure. The standard AirTherm™ SMT controls temperature and, as an option, monitors humidity.
PID algorithm for maintaining tight control
The AirTherm™ SMT uses a PID control algorithm to tightly control the temperature and monitor humidity of the controlled environment
With AirTherm™ SMT, the temperature of the sample and microscope optics can be controlled to within 0.2°C. During operation, air is drawn out of the chamber through a flexible hose, heated by the AirTherm™ SMT heater and re-circulated to the chamber by the return hose.
Ready to connect to your microscope chamber
The system is typically used in a closed loop configuration.
The AirTherm™ SMT system includes:
- Two coil-reinforced heater hose pieces and hose clamps (single inlet, single outlet hoses and clamps kit).
- Optional hose kits for dual inlet, dual outlet chambers.
- Temperature sensor for remote placement in environmental chamber.
- Optional Humidity probe for monitoring chamber humidity.
- Optional ultrasonic humidity kit with ultrasonic humidifier, mixing “T” and connecting hoses (Humidity probe required).
Single I/O configurationwith Humidity configuration
Glass bottom dishes
For high numerical aperture (NA) live-cell imaging, cells must be plated on glass (e.g., WPI’s FluoroDish Glass Bottom Dishes, spotting 0.17 mm glass thickness) or standard cover slips. Since cover slips inherit other problems associated with sterility and accidental damage to expensive microscope condensers, WPI designed new and improved glass bottom dishes (35 mm x 10 mm or 35 mm X 22 mm) that are not cytotoxic. A special adhesive in conjunction with an advanced dish design makes the FluoroDish the only non-cytotoxic glass dish in the world. This means that cells can actually be cultured for 4 to 5 days in the same dish and then carry the complete cell culture with media from the incubator directly into the (Air-Therm controlled) recording chamber. This is a comfort level that hitherto was unattainable by scientists and clinical researchers since cells will have to be transported from the culture dishes on to cover slips just prior to imagery or attaching patch electrodes.
The most problematic aspect of any live cell imaging procedure or patch clamp approach is the thermal drift of high magnification lenses caused by temperature fluctuations in the microscope's environment. It is necessary to constantly readjust the focus during image acquisition due to this thermal-drift, introducing artifacts during quantitative microscopy due to the photo-bleaching that occurs during refocusing. The optimal solution to this problem is to use WPI’s Air-Therm temperature controller connected to a Plexiglas or acrylic chamber that encloses the entire imaging area (or at least the objectives and the stage). Using such a chamber will result in highly stable temperature control and minimal thermal drift.
|AIR FLOW RATE||20 to 50 CFM (0.55 to 1.4 cubic meter/M)|
|CONTROL TEMP. RANGE||Ambient to 45°C|
|AO for CHART RECORDER
0.5°C Resolution, 0-10 V represents 0-100°C
Scaled at 0.04 V/% (50% = 2.00V)
|HEATING VOLUME||Minimum Volume 1.5 CF (42.5 L) to less than 50 CF (1400L), re-circulating|
|TEMPERATURE SENSOR TYPE||Platinum RTD 1000 Ω|
|HUMIDITY CONTROL RANGE||Ambient – 90%|
|HUMIDIFIER TANK CAPACITY||0.5 gallons|
|HUMIDIFIER DAILY OUTPUT||0.2 gallons|
|AIRTHERM SMT FUSE||for 120 VAC, 4 A Slow 5x20 mm metric
for 230 VAC, 2.5 A Slow 5x20 mm metric
|POWER (CE)||450 W, 95-135 V or 220-240 V, 50/60 Hz|
|DIMENSIONS||9.25 x 8.25 x 3.5" (23.5 x 21 x 19 cm)|
|SHIPPING WEIGHT||10 lb. (4.5 kg)|
X. Yin, D.A. Knecht, M.A. Lynes "Meallothionein mediates leukocyte chemotaxis" BMC Immunology 6. 2005: 6--21