PtIr Electrodes, Profile C
Profile C metal electrodes look like the image below.
- Platinum Iridium Metal Electrodes Profile C , 305 mm longPTM123B05KT$348.00
- Many standard types available (web) and custom
- Connecting pin fits Amphenol series 220-223 connectors
- Type C: Excellent for bipolar stimulation
- For acute and chronic recording
- Heat treated electrodes used for penetrating tough membrane (not for chronic implantation)
For basic information on these types of metal electrodes, click here to see the Metal Microelectrode Basics page.
For a table with specifications for the various electrodes, use the links below:
Kapton Coating on Electrodes
Kapton* tubing, indicated by “KT” in the part number, extends from the connector to within 5mm of the tip, providing stiffness and additional insulation to the electrode shaft. Kapton-clad electrodes are recommended when the electrode is to be inserted through a cannula for extra deep penetration.
Heat Treating Electrode Tips
The Heat Treated Tip (see image below) is ideal for penetrating tough membranes. (It is not recommended for chronic implantation.) This process is performed using a microforge in which the heating element is positioned in close proximity to the tip in order to melt the Parylene-C distal to the exposed metal. It provides a smooth transition and produces better adherence of the Parylene-C to the metal.
Both the KT and non-KT electrodes are heat-treatable. The heat treatment is applied only to the parylene coating. The heat melts the paryleneso it feathers down close to the shank near where the tip is exposed. This removes the abrupt edge where the parylene has been removed tocreate the tip exposure. The purpose is to prevent the parylene from delaminating from the electrode during implantation into tissue which couldcatch on the edge. Heat treatment does not work well in chronic applications, because the feather edge is susceptible to fluid intrusion overtime, which will alter the impedance characteristics of the electrode unfavorably.
To have your electrodes heat treated, just add the suffix “H” to any of the “KT” numbers on the facing page. This treatment incurs an additional cost. Please call for pricing.
* Parylene is a trade mark of Union Carbide. Kapton is a trade mark of DuPont. Elgiloy is a trade mark of Elgiloy Ltd.