Cell and Tissue
WPI’s cell and tissue products cover a broad range of applications. Our products are tested and optimized to provide you with instruments that are reliable in supporting your research requirements. We offer a range of products for TEER measurement, live cell imaging, microscopy studies and muscle physiology applications. WPI’s products have been cited in 100s of reference papers and in many cases are the only products available of their kind. WPI’s EVOM2 is the original instrument designed specifically to perform non-destructive TEER measurement on epithelial monolayer cell cultures.
- The camera you choose for your microscopy will depend largely on the type of image you would like to capture, video or still. Additionally, three types of cameras are available, and two are suitable for microscopy work. These include television (direct video), computer capture and commercial cameras. Let us help you choose the camera for your microscope application.
- These are our compound microscopes designed for schools and research laboratories. We offer a large variety of microscopes, cameras and accessories.
- LabScribe is the powerful data acquisition software included with Lab-Trax™ (formerly DataTrax). The acquisition and data display in LabScribe is easy and straight forward. It supports real units and a time-based display that is not coupled to sample rate. You can display up to 1,000,000 data points per channel on the screen. Scrolling, zoom-in and zoom-out tools, together with a searchable list of user interventions, make finding important areas of data easy. And, of course, you can print or export anything that you see.
- During the last 30 years, TEER measurements have become universally established as the most convenient, reliable and non-destructive method of evaluating and monitoring the growth of epithelial tissue culture in vitro. The confluence of the cellular monolayer is quickly determined by a sharp increase in TEER. TEER measurement technology, first introduced to tissue and cell biologist by WPI in the mid '80s has since been perfected and expanded to include a range of TEER related manual and automatic instrumentation. For epithelial physiology studies, our Ussing systems offer a quick, effective means of making low-resistance electrical connections to the Ussing chamber without the need of long agar bridges. Ag/AgCl half-cells screw into short tubes which plug firmly into place in the chamber's luer ports, eliminating the inconvenience and expense of Calomel half-cells in open liquids.
- Inverted microscopes like these are perfect for video recording and photography. We offer a large variety of microscopes and cameras for educational institutions and research laboratories.
- An emerging area of research (Live Cell Imaging) is growing rapidly. The number of PubMed articles published on live cell imaging has bloomed in the last several years, and is 10 times greater this year than in 2003. WPI, working in tandem with researchers from InVivo Scientific, has develop a cutting-edge line of products specifically for live cell imaging. In the past dead cells were stained and examined under a microscope. Now, small incubators can be placed on a microscope stagetop and live cells in culture can be observed directly. This opens a whole new world for exploration.
- Get uninterrupted, directed light for microscopes and other application.
- Micromanipulators are used when precision work is conducted under a microscope. A micropipette, electrode or probe can be mounted on a micromanipulator and move as little as a micron at a time. This tool can be used for in vitro fertilization, patch clamp experimentation, extracellular recording, microinjection and any application requiring fine mechanical placement (resolution). In addition to micromanipulators, WPI offers tilt bases, piezo translators and a variety of stands.Micromanipulators can be broken out into three broad categories: Manual, Manual/Motorized and Motorized.
- Any laboratory with a microscope requires accessories like eyepieces, reticles and slides. One of our most popular products are our FluoroDishes which are small dishes with optical grade glass bottoms. These are ideal for culturing cells and tissues. You can place the dishes on the microscope stage without having to transfer delicate cells to a slide for imaging.
- When building any structure, whether it’s a bridge or a protein, three elements are required: building materials, energy and building plans. The same is true in biological systems. Proteins are the structural material used for building. They provide the shape and substance of cells, tissues, organs and living matter. Carbohydrates are converted to energy to fuel the cellular building process. If more energy is available than is required for a project, the carbohydrates are converted to fats for long term energy storage. Finally, nucleotides within the nucleus of a cell provide the blueprints for the project. In Muscle Physiology studies, researchers look into the cell, tissue or organ to observe the biological functions taking place. WPI offers a full line of muscle physiology products, to examine everything from a single cardiac myocyte to an entire organ.
- Looking for an affordable surgical microscope for your research laboratory or veterinary clinic? Take a look at ours.
- Microscopes are a standard laboratory tool, but purchasing the right microscope for a particular application can be a challenge. First, consider how you will use the instrument. Are you looking at slides, dissecting a small animal or performing a surgery? (The application dictates the necessary working distance and power of magnification.) What kind of a stand will you be using? (Boom stand, articulating arm or post stand) Will the microscope be used in a classroom setting? (A trinocular scope offers the option of including a camera.) Will you need a camera? (A camera allows you to project the microscope image on a PC or TV or to take still images.) The answers to these questions help you determine the required working distance, level of magnification, type of mounting stand and hardware required.
Cell and tissue research covers a broad range of research applications, including epithelial physiology, muscle physiology, neuroscience, live cell imaging and much more. In the 1980's WPI pioneered the epithelial volt/ohm meter for TEER measurement, and the EVOM2 continues to be standard equipment in epithelial and endothelial research. In more recent years, we developed a line of muscle physiology equipment for everything from the testing of single cell testing (like a cardio myocyte) to tissue sample testing platforms. We manufacture controllers for maintaining temperature, humidity and oxygen in live cell incubation chambers that enclose a complete inverted microscope. Our stagetop environment offer the same type of environmental control for a case small enough to fit on any inverted microscope stage. The environmental case houses standard 6, 12, 24 or 96 well plates used for growing cell cultures. In addition to the equipment for specific research applications, we also carry a broad range of laboratory equipment like microscopes, cameras, micromanipulators, stands and a host of accessories for cell and tissue investigations.