WPI offers products and supplies for a variety of Life Science research applications. Laboratory equipment for these specific applications may be found here.
- WPI offers a range of macro and micro biosensors for monitoring nitric oxide, hydrogen peroxide, oxygen, carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulfide. Find information on the different WPI biosensors below. WPI Biosensors We offer single channel and 4-channel systems for free radical analysis. These systems work with WPI's line of biosensors and your data acquisition system. Meet the award winning scientist who heads our Biosensing division.
- From our early beginnings in 1967 working with Yale researchers, electrophysiology has been at the heart of our business. WPI amplifiers, stimulators and isolators are designed with quality components so you get a reliable, low-noise signal every time. Our time-tested designs give you affordable solutions for electrophysiology equipment, electrodes, data acquisition and accessories for applications like: • Intracellular/Extracellular Recording • Voltage Clamp for Ussing • Stimulation and Isolation • Optogenetics • Digital Filtering Electrophysiology is study of the flow of ions in living tissue, that is the electrical properties of cells and tissues, measuring voltage change of a biological entity from a single ion channel proteins to an organ (for example, heart). Micro electrodes (glass pipette filled with an electrolyte) are placed inside a single cell for intracellular measurement and near the surface of a cell or in a preparation for extracellular measurement. Our newest product (Cardiophys ECG) is designed for cardiac electrophysiology and measures ECG in laboratory models as small as 2-cell zebrafish. Researchers count on WPI for tried and true electrophysiology lab equipment.
- During the last 30 years, TEER measurements have become universally established as the most convenient, reliable and non-destructive method of evaluating and monitoring the growth of epithelial tissue culture in vitro. The confluence of the cellular monolayer is quickly determined by a sharp increase in TEER. TEER measurement technology, first introduced to tissue and cell biologist by WPI in the mid '80s has since been perfected and expanded to include a range of TEER related manual and automatic instrumentation. For epithelial physiology studies, our Ussing systems offer a quick, effective means of making low-resistance electrical connections to the Ussing chamber without the need of long agar bridges. Ag/AgCl half-cells screw into short tubes which plug firmly into place in the chamber's luer ports, eliminating the inconvenience and expense of Calomel half-cells in open liquids.
- An emerging area of research (Live Cell Imaging) is growing rapidly. The number of PubMed articles published on live cell imaging has bloomed in the last several years, and is 10 times greater this year than in 2003. WPI, working in tandem with researchers from InVivo Scientific, has develop a cutting-edge line of products specifically for live cell imaging. In the past dead cells were stained and examined under a microscope. Now, small incubators can be placed on a microscope stagetop and live cells in culture can be observed directly. This opens a whole new world for exploration.
- Microinjection processes use either metal microinjection needles or glass micropipettes to inject small liquid volumes. For example, genetic material may be inserted into a living cell, a drug introduced into an eye or brain, or fluid injected into a muscle. Typically, microinjection is performed under a microscope. A stereotaxic frame setup may be required. Recently, WPI introduced its customizable Microinjection System with everything you need to get started. We can help you customize your system with many options and microinjection system accessories. The basic system includes: Microinjection pump like the PV820 Pneumatic PicoPump LED lighted microscope base with a PZMIII Stereo Microscope and an articulating mirror Micromanipulator Many accessories WPI offers a variety of pumps along with special syringes, stereotaxic frames, glass capillaries and needles. The setup you choose depends on the size of your microinjection aliquots, the volume to be injected and the size of needle or glass tip you choose. In addition, we offer an electroporator for transfection procedures. Whether you are working with Danio rerio (zebrafish), Xenopus, Drosophila or Caenorhabditis elegans, we can help you customize a microinjection system for your application.
- When building any structure, whether it’s a bridge or a protein, three elements are required: building materials, energy and building plans. The same is true in biological systems. Proteins are the structural material used for building. They provide the shape and substance of cells, tissues, organs and living matter. Carbohydrates are converted to energy to fuel the cellular building process. If more energy is available than is required for a project, the carbohydrates are converted to fats for long term energy storage. Finally, nucleotides within the nucleus of a cell provide the blueprints for the project. In Muscle Physiology studies, researchers look into the cell, tissue or organ to observe the biological functions taking place. WPI offers a full line of muscle physiology products, to examine everything from a single cardiac myocyte to an entire organ.
- Neuroscience, the study of the development, structure and function of the nervous system, is a fascinating and growing field. WPI offers a standard line and a premium line of stereotaxic frames, neuroscience cannulas and a large number of accessories for use by neuroscientists.
- All you need for optical measurements WPI now provides a full range of components and solutions, from proprietary qualfied fibers, optical assemblies to fully integrated spectroscopy measurement systems. WPI knows the the importance of making measuarements where the science happens with our full range of reflectance and transmission dipping probes, fiber optic O2 and pH probes, and long pathlength flowcells all to eliminate the need to take a sample to the instrument. Our Photonics Center of Excellence in Friedberg, Germany also allows us to build proven custom configurations qulickly. Whether that is a new optical design for a probe, an optical assembly or a customized measurement system.
- WPI carries third party product lines to assist researchers with those not-so-ordinary Animal Physiology applications. The TheraCyte™ system for encapsulating and transplanting cells is a thin membrane-based polymeric chamber. This vascularization feature provides a rich blood supply to nourish the tissues within the membranes, aids in the communication of implanted cells with the host, and assures rapid uptake of therapeutic molecules. The BASi® line provides drug developers with superior scientific research and innovative analytical instrumentation. Bio-Signal Technologies offers intuitive, high-performance, multi-channel neurophysiology systems (recording/modulation) for studying the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nervous system during behavior.
- The Novel Coronavirus, COVID-19, that was first detected in Wuhan, China has been detected in more than 100 countries worldwide and the "coronavirus disease 2019" (abbreviated "COVID-19") is resulting in havoc worldwide. It has not only caused fatality in huge numbers, but it has also resulted in economic losses globally. The development of a vaccine or a drug to combat COVID-19 is imperative. Development of the vaccine for COVID-19 is complex and involves various steps: Identification of the antigen and adaptability of the virus in cell culture. Development of the recombinant vaccine. Determination of the immunogenicity and safety of the vaccine candidate using animal models. Early and late clinical studies. WPI offers solutions for many of these steps. Developing Viral Cell Culture The first and most important step of vaccine development involves growing the virus. Since viruses do not grow in artificial media, they must be grown in cell cultures. While the cell culture is developing, it is necessary to routinely monitor the differentiation status of the cell layers, look for confluence and formation of tight junctions. Transepithelial Electrical Resistance (TEER) measurement using Epithelial Volt/Ohm Meter, EVOM2, has been the most reliable method to determine the health of an epithelial or endothelial monolayer in any cell culture study.1-5 The health of the cellular layer is determined based on the resistance and voltage across the cellular layers. High resistance across an epithelial layer indicates the presence of tight junctions and a confluent layer, whereas low resistance indicates a leaky epithelium. The EVOM2 system, along with the electrodes, operates in two modes – Resistance and Voltage. Fluid Handling Solutions For creating the recombinant vaccine, dispensing and transferring fluids becomes essential. The UltraMicroPump with SMARTouchTM controller (UMP3T-1 or UMP3T-2) offers fluid handling solutions during the construction of the plasmids and the development of the recombinant vaccine. WPI’s versatile microprocessor-controlled injector, UltraMicroPump, and sub-microliter injection system (NanoFilTM) ensure reproducible and precise delivery of microliter to nanoliter volumes with high efficiency. Together they have been widely used for transferring viral vectors and have become the standard practice.6-8 Features Benefits Accepts a wide variety of syringes from 0.5 µL to 1 mL Highly versatile and capable of transferring fluids from nanoliter to microliter volumes. You can configure volume and flow rates. Very low dead volume (0.5 µL or less) Eliminates waste and makes the system highly efficient Graphic display with SMARTouch™ touch screen controller Rapid set up and "intelligent," automated, easy-to-use interface for controlling up to two UMP3 syringe pumps Footswitch (Optional) Operate with the foot, leaving the hand free for other operations Animal Model Experiments The development of human vaccines requires the use of animals for research. WPI also offers: Super accurate Microprobe Thermometers – for single (BAT-12R) or multiple input (BAT-10R/LOP) for measuring temperature. Single or high-throughput non-invasive blood pressure measurement systems for mice (II-MRBP-M) and for rats (II-MRBP-R) – accurately monitors, records, stores or exports real time systolic, diastolic, mean and heart rate. Invasive monitoring system for arterial or venous blood pressure, force and temperature. ECG monitoring system, CardioPhys ECG. Surgical instruments such as forceps, scissors and more. High level disinfectants like Cidex and sterilization equipment