- The Novel Coronavirus, COVID-19, that was first detected in Wuhan, China has been detected in more than 100 countries worldwide and the "coronavirus disease 2019" (abbreviated "COVID-19") is resulting in havoc worldwide. It has not only caused fatality in huge numbers, but it has also resulted in economic losses globally. The development of a vaccine or a drug to combat COVID-19 is imperative. Development of the vaccine for COVID-19 is complex and involves various steps: Identification of the antigen and adaptability of the virus in cell culture. Development of the recombinant vaccine. Determination of the immunogenicity and safety of the vaccine candidate using animal models. Early and late clinical studies. WPI offers solutions for many of these steps. Developing Viral Cell Culture The first and most important step of vaccine development involves growing the virus. Since viruses do not grow in artificial media, they must be grown in cell cultures. While the cell culture is developing, it is necessary to routinely monitor the differentiation status of the cell layers, look for confluence and formation of tight junctions. Transepithelial Electrical Resistance (TEER) measurement using Epithelial Volt/Ohm Meter, EVOM2, has been the most reliable method to determine the health of an epithelial or endothelial monolayer in any cell culture study.1-5 The health of the cellular layer is determined based on the resistance and voltage across the cellular layers. High resistance across an epithelial layer indicates the presence of tight junctions and a confluent layer, whereas low resistance indicates a leaky epithelium. The EVOM2 system, along with the electrodes, operates in two modes – Resistance and Voltage. Fluid Handling Solutions For creating the recombinant vaccine, dispensing and transferring fluids becomes essential. The UltraMicroPump with SMARTouchTM controller (UMP3T-1 or UMP3T-2) offers fluid handling solutions during the construction of the plasmids and the development of the recombinant vaccine. WPI’s versatile microprocessor-controlled injector, UltraMicroPump, and sub-microliter injection system (NanoFilTM) ensure reproducible and precise delivery of microliter to nanoliter volumes with high efficiency. Together they have been widely used for transferring viral vectors and have become the standard practice.6-8 Features Benefits Accepts a wide variety of syringes from 0.5 µL to 1 mL Highly versatile and capable of transferring fluids from nanoliter to microliter volumes. You can configure volume and flow rates. Very low dead volume (0.5 µL or less) Eliminates waste and makes the system highly efficient Graphic display with SMARTouch™ touch screen controller Rapid set up and "intelligent," automated, easy-to-use interface for controlling up to two UMP3 syringe pumps Footswitch (Optional) Operate with the foot, leaving the hand free for other operations Animal Model Experiments The development of human vaccines requires the use of animals for research. WPI also offers: Super accurate Microprobe Thermometers – for single (BAT-12R) or multiple input (BAT-10R/LOP) for measuring temperature. Single or high-throughput non-invasive blood pressure measurement systems for mice (II-MRBP-M) and for rats (II-MRBP-R) – accurately monitors, records, stores or exports real time systolic, diastolic, mean and heart rate. Invasive monitoring system for arterial or venous blood pressure, force and temperature. ECG monitoring system, CardioPhys ECG. Surgical instruments such as forceps, scissors and more. High level disinfectants like Cidex and sterilization equipment
- Analgesia testing is a growing field. Before new pain killing pharmaceuticals are brought to market, they must undergo a host of efficacy studies involving some form of analgesiometry prior to any clinical trials. The standard nociceptive threshold testing for preclinical trials involve mechanical, thermal and chemical stimuli with mice and rats. WPI offers a variety of such equipment.
- EZ Anesthesia is the system of choice for anesthetizing small animals, and it comes with a variety of choices. Animals to be anesthetized are placed in the acrylic induction chamber and the system delivers a precisely blended mixture of oxygen and isoflurane. An activated charcoal air filter canister at the top of the chamber releases safe, filtered air back into the room. A water-heated cage warmer or warming plate (ATC2000) is used to retain the animal body temperature while in the induction chamber. After the initial anesthetizing, the animal can be moved to the heated surgical water bed and positioned properly in the snugly fitted nosecone. A highly sensitive valve regulated by the animal’s breathing works with the nosecone to ensure non-rebreathing efficiency, and allow safe anesthesia for up to several hours. The breathing device also includes an air filter that releases safe, filtered air back into the room.
- Keeping anesthestized animals warm during research procedures is critical. WPI's ATC2000 Animal Temperature Controller is simple to operate, because its adaptive mode takes the guesswork out of temperature control so you can focus on the details of your own experiment.
- Small animal blood pressure monitors used in a research laboratory can be invasive or non-invasive. For example, if you wanted to measure direct arterial and venous pressure, you could use an animal catheter and the BLPR2 system. For non-invasive blood pressure measurements, you could use the tail cuff monitor. Our IITC tail cuff monitor allows for tail movement and is designed to minimize stress to the animal.
- Rodent brain matrices are available in: both stainless steel and acrylic for use with rats and mice (3 sizes) for sagittal or coronal slicing You get repeatable sections with 1 mm spacing. Choose the matrix you need.
- These cannulas for neuroscience study and per-clinical research include an entire range of cannula options, including: the Guide Cannula the Internal Cannula the Dummy Cannula (cap) We also offer the flexible PE tubing and fixing screw to secure the internal cannula and the guide cannula
- WPI has a premium line of stereotaxic instruments designed for research. These frames and accessories stand up to daily laboratory use and offer the precision you demand. We are committed to bringing you the quality products you need, and the affordable solutions you want. WPI offers stereotaxic frames for animals of various sizes like mice, rats, cats, guinea pigs, hamster, monkeys, dogs, etc. and accessories like neonatal adapters, ear bars, probe holders and tooth bars. A broad variety of stereotaxic instruments are available for various applications. Basic frames with single or dual arms Motorized and digital frames Parallel rail frames WPI Stereotaxic frames: Are convenient to use and highly accurate (to 100 µm) Offer smooth and versatile movement Provide stability and adaptability Some of these frames have temperature control in the base to maintain body temperature of the animals during the surgery.
- WPI carries third party product lines to assist researchers with those not-so-ordinary Animal Physiology applications. The TheraCyte™ system for encapsulating and transplanting cells is a thin membrane-based polymeric chamber. This vascularization feature provides a rich blood supply to nourish the tissues within the membranes, aids in the communication of implanted cells with the host, and assures rapid uptake of therapeutic molecules. The BASi® line provides drug developers with superior scientific research and innovative analytical instrumentation. Bio-Signal Technologies offers intuitive, high-performance, multi-channel neurophysiology systems (recording/modulation) for studying the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nervous system during behavior.
- Stereotaxic frames have been in use for animal research since the 1930s, and they come in a variety of forms. WPI offers stereotaxic frames and accessories like neonatal adapters, ear bars, probe holders and tooth bars. Are you looking for basic frames with single or dual arms, motorized and digital frames or parallel rail frames? We have frames for mice, neonatal rats, guinea pigs, rats and larger animals like monkeys or dogs. Special applications may require anesthesia gas masks, spinal adapters or a micro drill, which are all available here.
- A variety of temperature probes for any research application Are you looking for a specific thermometer for your research application? We offer a variety. Flexible Teflon microprobes are used for implantation in tissue, in spectrophotometer cuvettes, rectally in neonatal mice, in water baths, PCR thermal cyclers, etc. Monitors animal rectal temperatures during surgical procedures and pyrogen testing Benefits Thermocouple wire used meets NIST standards (Certification is available for an additional cost) Applications Rectal temperature monitoring Instant read in tissue, semi-solids, small specimen and other materials When precise temperature measurements are required, WPI can provide you with a very accurate monitor and thermocouple microprobes. WPI monitors have both resolution and accuracy of 0.1°C in the 0-50°C range and are traceable to NIST standards, whereas, other competitive electronic thermometers have an accuracy that is usually to 0.5°C or worse. Furthermore, all our type T clinical probes are guaranteed accurate to 0.1°C, due to our stringent wire standards. These are five times more accurate than competitive probes made with regular “Special Limits” wire.
- These ventilators and carbon dioxide monitors are designed specifically for research laboratories for use with rats, mice and other small animals.
Laboratory Equipment Designed for Small Animals
Some surgeries (for example, neuroscience) require precise positioning of an animal, and a stereotaxic frame is critical.
Anesthesia systems must also be specially designed for the small animal physiology in order to keep the animals and the researchers safe.
During surgery, researchers may monitor blood pressure and other vitals. You want a blood pressure monitor that will not stress your rodents and small animals.
It is also critical to keep your animals warm without burning them during a surgery.
WPI offers a broad range of equipment, surgical instruments and laboratory supplies that were designed for small animal physiology. Let us help you get the laboratory equipment that’s right for your research application.